Sunday, December 6, 2009

End-of-Course Reflection

Through this course, I have learned a great deal about instructional technology as well about effective course design. I especially liked having the textbook to use as the source for discussion material. The information was interesting and relevant and provided a common resource for which our class could engage in meaningful discussion. I enjoyed working on the issue paper as it gave me the freedom to explore an issue with which I have an interest. On the final project, I liked the idea of a group presentation but I have discovered that group presentations in a distance class are extremely problematic due to the varying levels of motivation and work ethic. At best the presentations are just a division of the topic, presented sequentially. I never really got the feeling of true collaboration. I do not think that this is a limitation of the course design but simple a limitation of time and geographical space. Students still need some face-to-face time in order to establish leadership and synergy.
Additionally, I feel that there is too much reading of PowerPoint slides and calling that a presentation. Such presentations are boring in person and insufferable online. I think that is an area of instruction technology use I would like to explore further.

No comments:

Post a Comment